Following the 30th anniversary of the death of Altiero Spinelli, one of the founding fathers of the Union, and on the 60th anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Rome, the European Parliament established the Altiero Spinelli Prize for Outreach in order to encourage, reward and provide European level recognition and visibility to high-quality contributions.
The 2018 Altiero Spinelli Prize for Outreach will reward and provide EU-wide recognition and visibility to outstanding works/activities/products that are making/have made a direct, substantial and sustainable contribution to young people's:
1) Motivation to participate in the democratic processes that shape the future of the EU
2) Engagement in supporting EU core values of human dignity, freedom, democracy, equality, the rule of law and respect for human rights, including the rights of persons belonging to minorities
3) Critical awareness of what the EU stands for and why (its history; its founding values; its actions and policies; its accomplishments and successes) and of the cost of non-Europe
4) Critical thinking and resilience against anti-democratic populist discourses in and about the EU.
Types of work:
- Innovative and practice-oriented educational programmes or campaigns and/or Massive Online Open Courses;
- Games (offline and/or online) with pedagogic purposes allowing young participants to experience Europe and its functioning in practice;
- Collaborative projects and action-based activities promoting the concrete participation of young people in the democratic processes that shape the future of the EU, and their active engagement with European common values;
- or combinations of such works.
The deadline for applications is Monday 07 January 2019 at 17:00 CET.
For questions specifically relating to this Prize, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org